The most important asset for any factory/shop floor manufacturing precision components is its Machine Tools. The reason:
- Machine tools are capital intensive
- They consume significant real estate on the shop floor
- Need skilled manpower to run them
- They help in high volume production
Depending on whether your machine tool is a conventional type, hydraulic operated or CNC there are ways to ensure their viability:
- Machine tool reconditioning
- CNC Remanufacturing
- CNC Retrofit
Some of the major advantages of following through with Recondition/ Remanufacturing/ Retrofit are:
- Significant cost saving as compared to buying a new machine
- Increased machine life
- Improved performance
Machine tool Reconditioning
Below points details the general process for Reconditioning any machine tool:
- Complete machine dismantling, cleaning and painting.
- Replace all the worn-out parts to new – Ball screws, guideways, bearings and other mechanical transmission elements.
- Scraping, blue-matching and alignment to achieve perfect geometrical accuracies.
- Reconditioning or replace hydraulic, pneumatic and lubrication systems
- Complete servicing and if required re-wiring of electrical circuitry
CNC Conversion / CNC Remanufacturing
Process of converting a manually operated general purpose machine (GPM) or a conventional machine to a fully CNC operated machine. Typically, the process involves incorporating mechanical transmission elements like ball screws, slides, bearing, bearing housings, servo motor mounting arrangements for CNC compatibility. The complete electrical circuitry and cabinet is newly designed to incorporate all the CNC related elements.
Benefits CNC Conversion
- A fully operated CNC Machine increases productivity and improves production capacity due to lesser manual intervention.
- CNC Machines enable complex task details like axis movement and auto compensation.
- Creates flexibility in manufacturing and increases safety.
- Reduces errors due to manual intervention.
- Cost Benefits: Depending on the size, type and complexity of the machine CNC conversion costs between 35%-50% of the cost of a new machine.
- Save on taxes and moving costs for your machine (Cost benefits are significantly higher in imported new machines – Upto 70% cheaper)
Older CNC and manual machine tools that are mechanically sound, can be retrofitted with the latest control system like Fanuc/Siemens/Mitsubishi/Allen Bradley. Typically CNC retrofit involves replacing the CNC control, servo and spindle motors, drives, electrical components along with the existing wiring on a machine. In many cases mechanical upgrades like new ball screws can be incorporated that were not available when the machine was originally purchased.
Benefits of CNC Retrofit
- Benefits depend on the size, number of CNC axis and type of the machine.
- On an average retrofitting a good machine is less than 40% of the cost of a similar new machine.
- Productivity improvement can cost as little as 1/3 the cost of a new machine and with a short down time.
- Save on taxes and moving costs for your machine.
If you're looking for quality CNC Machine Reconditioning/Remanufacturing/Retrofit, we have what it takes. Laven is dedicated in providing the best machine services globally. We are specialists when it comes to all types of machine reconditioning and inspection including grinding machines, lathes, milling machines, vertical machining centers, horizontal machining centres & more!